Bostock, Richard M. (Rick)
Professor of Plant Pathology
Director, Western Plant Diagnostic Network
Office Phone: 530-752-0308
B.S. Rhodes College 1974 Biology
Ph.D. University of Kentucky 1981 Plant Pathology
Biochemistry and molecular biology of plant-microbe interactions; diseases of orchard crops.
General areas of emphasis in my research program are the biochemistry and molecular biology of plant-microbe interactions and diseases of orchard crops. Recent or current research projects include: lipid-based signaling in defense networks and programmed cell death (apoptosis) in plants; signal interactions in induced resistance to pathogens and insects; abiotic root stress in predisposition to diseases caused by Phytophthora spp.; and fungal diseases of orchard crops and perennial hosts.
- Robinson SM and Bostock RM. β-Glucans and eicosapolyenoic acids as MAMPs in plant-oomycete interactions: past and present. (2015) Frontiers Plant Sci. 5:797. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2014.00797
- Hishinuma S, Dallara P, Parker C, Roubtsova T, Tisserat N, Zerillo M, Bostock R, Flint M, Seybold S. (2015) Wingnut (Pterocarya sp.) as a new generic host for Pityophthorus juglandis (Coleoptera: Scolytidae). The Canadian Entomologist (in press)
- Bostock RM, Thomas C, Hoenisch RW, Golino DA, Vidalakis G. (2014) Plant health: How diagnostic networks and inter-agency partnerships protect plant systems from pests and pathogens. California Agriculture 68:117-124.
- Bostock RM, Robinson SM, Pye MF, Kasuga T, Dehesh K. (2014) Arachidonate-induced immunity and mixed messages in plant-oomycete interactions, KR Freitas Schwan-Estrada, C Mendes da Silva, A Jose Maia, CM Duarte Rios Faria, J Cesar T. Colella, (ed), Indução de Resistência em Plantas a Patógenos, Centro de Ciências Agrárias, Maringá, UEM/MPA, 9-27
Yaghmour MA, Nguyen TL, Roubtsova TV, Hasey JK, Fichtner EJ, DeBuse C, Seybold SJ, Bostock RM. (2014) First report of Geosmithia morbida on English walnut and its Paradox rootstock in California. Plant Disease 98: 1441.
- DiLeo MV, Bostock RM, Rizzo DM. (2014) Microclimate impacts survival and prevalence of Phytophthora ramorum in Umbellularia californica, a key reservoir host of sudden oak death in northern California forests. PLoS ONE. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0098195, 9(8): e98195.
- Stack JP, Bostock RM, Hammerschmidt R, Jones JB, and Luke E. (2014) The National Plant Diagnostic Network: Partnering to protect plant systems. Plant Disease 98:708-715.
- Bostock RM, Pye MF, and Roubtsova T. (2014) Predisposition in plant disease: exploiting the nexus in abiotic and biotic stress perception and response. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 52:517-49
- Pye MF, Hakuno F, MacDonald JD, and Bostock RM (2013) Induced resistance in tomato by SAR activators during predisposing salinity stress. Frontiers Plant Sci. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2013.00116
- Walley JW, Kliebenstein DJ, Bostock RM, and Dehesh K (2013) Fatty acids and early detection of pathogens. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 16:520-526
- Marti´nez-Garci´a PJ, Parfitt DE, Bostock RM, Fresnedo-Rami´rez J, Vazquez-Lobo A, et al. (2013) Application of Genomic and Quantitative Genetic Tools to Identify Candidate resistance genes for brown rot resistance in peach. PLoS ONE 8(11): e78634. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0078634
- Inderbitzin P, Davis RM, Bostock RM, Subbarao KV (2013) Identification and differentiation of Verticillium species and V. longisporum lineages by simplex and multiplex PCR assays. PLoS ONE 8(6): e65990. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0065990
- Utley, C., Nguyen T, Roubtsova T, Coggeshall M, Ford TC, Grauke LJ, Graves AD, Leslie CA, Mckenna J, Woeste K, Yaghmour MA, Cranshaw W, Seybold SJ, Bostock RM, Tisserat N. (2013) Susceptibility of walnut and hickory species to Geosmithia morbida. Plant Disease, 97:601-607 http://dx.doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-07-12-0636-RE.
- Chiu C-M, B-J You, C-M Chou, P-L Yua, F-Y Yua, S-M Pana, RM Bostock, K-R Chung and M-L Lee. (2013) Redox status-mediated regulation of gene expression and virulence in the brown rot pathogen Monilinia fructicola. Plant Pathology 62:809-819 Doi: 10.1111/ppa.12006.
- Marek SM, Yaghmour MA, and Bostock RM. (2013) Fusarium spp., Cylindrocarpon spp., and predisposing environmental stress in the etiology of a canker disease of cold-stored fruit and nut tree seedlings in California. Plant Dis. 97:259-270.
- Yaghmour, M. A., Bostock, R. M., Adaskaveg, J. E., and Michailides, T. J. 2012. Propiconazole sensitivity in populations of Geotrichum candidum, the cause of sour rot of peach and nectarine, in California. Plant Dis. 96:752-758.
- Yaghmour, M. A., Bostock, R. M., Morgan, D. P., and Michailides, T. J. 2012. Biology and sources of inoculum of Geotrichum candidum causing sour rot of peach and nectarine fruit in California. Plant Dis. 96:204-210.
- Inderbitzin P, Davis RM, Bostock RM, Subbarao KV. 2011. The Ascomycete Verticillium longisporum is a hybrid and a plant pathogen with an expanded host range. PLoS ONE 6(3): e18260. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0018260
- Inderbitzin P, Bostock RM, Davis RM, Usami T, Platt HW, Subbarao KV. 2011. Phylogenetics and taxonomy of the fungal vascular wilt pathogen Verticillium, with the descriptions of five new species. PLoS ONE 6(12): e28341. doi:10.1371/journal.pone. 0028341
- Bostock RM, Savchenko T, Lazarus CM, Dehesh K. 2011. Eicosapolyenoic acids: novel MAMPs with reciprocal effect on oomycete-plant defense signaling networks. Plant Signaling and Behavior 6:531-33
- Fletcher J., Luster D, Bostock R, Burans J, Cardwell K, Gottwald T, McDaniel L, Royer M, and Smith K. 2010. Emerging infectious plant diseases. In Scheld WM, Grayson ML, and Hughes JM (eds.). Emerging Infections 9, pp 337-366 ASM Press, Washington, DC
- Inderbitzin P, Bostock RM, Trouillas FP, Michailides TJ. 2010. A six locus phylogeny reveals high species diversity in Botryosphaeriaceae from California almond. Mycologia 102(6):1350-68
- Savchenko T, Walley JW, Chehab EW, Xiao Y, Kaspi R, Pye MF, Mohamed ME, Lazarus CM, Bostock RM, and Dehesh K. 2010. Arachidonic acid: an evolutionarily conserved signaling molecule modulates plant stress signaling networks. Plant Cell 22: 3193-3205
- DiLeo MV, Pye MF, Roubtsova TV, Duniway JM, MacDonald JD, Rizzo DM, and Bostock RM. 2010. Abscisic acid in salt stress predisposition to Phytophthora root and crown rot in tomato and chrysanthemum. Phytopathology 100:871-879
- Lee M-H, Chiu C-M, Roubtsova T, Chou C-M, and Bostock RM. 2010. Overexpression of a redox-regulated cutinase gene MfCUT1 increases virulence of the brown rot pathogen Monilinia fructicola on Prunus spp. Molecular Plant Microbe Interactions 23:176-186.
- Su SYW, Beck HW, Xiao X, DePree J, Degwekar S, Zhou C, Lee M, Thomas C, Coggeshall A, and Bostock R. 2010. ETKnet: A Distributed Network System for Sharing Event Data and Multi-faceted Knowledge in a Collaboration Federation. In Yang, C.C., M.C.-L Chau, J. -H Wang, and H. Chen (eds.) Security Informatics. VII, pp. 135-154.
- DiLeo MV, Bostock RM, and Rizzo DM. 2009. Phytophthora ramorum does not cause physiologically significant systemic injury to California bay laurel, its primary reservoir host. Phytopathology 99:1307-1311.
- Roubtsova, T. V., and Bostock, R. M. 2009. Episodic abiotic stress as a potential contributing factor to onset and severity of disease caused by Phytophthora ramorum in Rhododendron and Viburnum. Plant Disease 93:912-918.
Lee, M-H., and Bostock, R.M. 2007. Fruit exocarp phenols in relation to quiescence and development of Monilinia fructicola infections in Prunus: a role for cellular redox? Phytopathology 97:269-277.
- Weyman PD, Pan Z, Feng Q, Gilchrist DG, and Bostock RM. 2006. DEA1, a circadian- and cold-regulated tomato gene, protects yeast cells from freezing death. Plant Molecular Biology 62:547-559
- Lee M-H and Bostock RM. 2006. Induction, regulation, and role in pathogenesis of appressoria in Monilinia fructicola. Phytopathology 96:1072-1080.
- Lee M-H and Bostock RM. 2006. Agrobacterium T-DNA-mediated integration and gene replacement in the brown rot pathogen Monilinia fructicola. Current Genetics 49:309-322.
- Weyman PD, Pan Z, Feng Q, Gilchrist DG, and Bostock RM. 2006. A circadian rhythm-regulated tomato gene is induced by arachidonic acid and Phythophthora infestans infection. Plant Physiology 140:235-248.
- Stack J, Cardwell K, Hammerschmidt R, Byrne J, Loria R, Snover-Clift K, Baldwin W, Wisler G, Beck H, Bostock R, Thomas C, Luke E. 2006. The National Plant Diagnostic Network. Plant Disease 90:128-136
- Bostock, RM. 2005. Signal crosstalk and induced resistance: straddling the line between cost and benefit. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 43:545-80